Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIMPLE IMPACT TEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmschrei

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2002
US
Where can I find plans to construct a simple impact test on concrete samples. I was thinking of something low-tech, basically just repetively dropping something but the only test i have found is for morter and the test samples are to thin for our agrogate.

thanks for any help
JUSTIN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Developing a 'simple' impact testing mechanism for concrete may not be that simple. A value of toughness of concrete is sometimes evaluated by determining the impact resistance of the concrete using a device that directs steel balls or BB's in the surface of the concrete. This is an imprecise methodoloy however for it sometimes merely indicates the toughness of the surface of the concrete and does not allow the mass of the concrete's toughness to be measured. We often use fibers to enhance toughness, particularly steel fibers. I wonder if your local representative from Fibermesh or some similar company selling fibers might not tell you how they deal with this determination in their research laboratories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back