Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple it is not. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enginerd9

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2008
US
Does anyone have a good list of basic function sequences, such as "rotate drawing view" or similar simple functions? Hopefully it's not like everything else in ProE: convoluted, overly complicated, and requiring a degree of Computer Engineer or IT background.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want axes to be created automatically for extruded features you should use the config option.

show_axes_for_extr_arcs Yes / No*

Any arcs in your sketch will create feature axes with multiple names that are internal to feature like hole axes are.

The axes created by SolidWorks (internal axes) are created for all rounded geometry and can turn your screen ugly fast. Feature axes can be toggled independently of the Feature ones however.

This config option can be toggled on or off but will not affect existing features or work when redefining feature unless a new or replacement arc is created.

I remember most times to check that the option is set or unset when I want axes so redefine is not necessary.

Michael

To do what I want to do, which is simply insert a center mark on a drawing for a round feature (sheet metal bend, hole, etc), SolidWorks doesn't require an axis. You can just click "centermark" and click the feature on which to place it. Done. I never even showed axes in SW unless it was absolutely necessary, and even then is was a very easy operation to isolate only the one(s) I wanted to show. The screen is only as ugly as you let it me, imho based on my experience (almost 10 years, from SW2004 up to SW2011).

As far as ProE - I attempted to set this configuration and it's still not inserting an axis for the feature in question. I've created a sheet metal profile from the side view, my sketch drives the bend radii, etc. The "round" feature is an extrusion of a curved line of a certain radius. So, I don't think it's regognizing the resulting surface as something which can have an axis.

It's only frustrating me because ProE can't figure out that I want to make a center mark in the drawing without referencing some model dependant features. /vent

I guess this truly is one thing SolidWorks does better than ProE.

An interesting difference between Pro/E and SolidWorks at a very fundamental level is that Pro/E breaks circles into 2 semicircles while SolidWorks does not.

By breaking the circles in half Pro/E prevents there being 2 solutions when dimensioning. In Pro/E one can always dimension to a tangent ... because for any given curve there exists only one tagent point - depending on the semicircle selected.

In SolidWorks sketcher you often only have the option to dimension to a centerpoint - this always drives me nuts and it's a limitation that to me is totally unacceptable. There are exceptions to this - by inserting points on the circle you can dimension to tangents in specific instances. But the bottom line is that SolidWorks relies more on centerpoints for definition - its algorithems are not well setup for tangents.

This "circle divided in two" issue also has other implications - you find that in Pro/E you sometimes need to select two sides of a circle in order to perform an operation.

Anyway, I just thought this may tie into why these softwares differ when it comes to the centerpoint and axis issue. For whatever reason, I have not found myself terribly frustrated with the centerpoint issue described - so I must have some way of dealing with it. Is it just a Sheetmetal issue?

o_O

You don't.... what? You can dimention to any tangent you want on a circle in SolidWorks! At any time! I promise! lol Go try it again, because I think you've missed something. Not trying to get you all riled up, I just really think you missed something. lol Click on a curve and on the left in the properties you can hit a tab (I forget what it's called) to make it "min, max, center." It will automatically attach the dimension to the center, minimum tangent, or maximum tangent per your preference and / or dimensioning requirements. Easy as pie! And, to insert something simple like a center mark... you don't need an axis! Just click center mark, and click the rounded feature... done!

I've always hated that the circles or rounded features get broken into two halves. It drives me nuts to have to grab two clicks to make a derived feature rather than just click, boom, done.

Next time I'm on SolidWorks I'll need to verify this. Specifically this is a sketcher issue - not a drawing issue. At the time (8 years ago or so) all the SolidWorks "pros" told me I could not do it ... except when I could place a point on a curve at a vertical or horizonal position.

I'm a 14 year user of Pro/E going to Solidworks.

I can appreciate the differences. There are somethings SW does better than Pro, and vice versa.

They're all kinda the same. it just turns into bickering that requires a checklist to determine what's better in one or the other. Another thing too is formal training. I've had classes in SW, used books, etc. Some of the stuff I wanna do is just plain inefficient. Pro is the same, they have archaic menus back from when I used Pro/E 17 on a UNIX box. I used to be an admin in Pro for 5 years, so I know a lot of the shortcomings in it.

SW has problems, just in different features. They even crash the same amount, IMHO. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back