Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Method for 2-Way Plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

druminman

Structural
Mar 26, 2008
Does anyone have or use a simple method for rectangular or (less importantly) circular plates with either uniform or single concentrated force (normal, axial, or moment)?

It seems these conditions turn up often in different small jobs, where a full on analysis is not justified, and I oversize the plate by assuming the worst case one-way bending. I would like a simple way to more closely, but still conservatively, approximate the stresses.

Recently I've had this case turn up both for steel plates and concrete slabs, and I felt like I was being grossly conservative using one-way bending.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two very straight-forward methods available:

1. Plate charts. I have a very good set of plate bending moment, shear and deflection tables in my copy of "Structural Engineering Formulas" by Ilya Mikhelson (ISBN#: 0-07-143911-0) A truly useful and excellent book.

2. Johanssen's Yield Line: You can calculate the specific situation in detail, which would not save you a great deal of time, however you can also find tables of ready-made yield line solutions (the time consuming part is therefore done for you). I would recommend the british publication "Practical Yield Design" by Kennedy & Goodchild
Available as a free download from Just be careful about the notation when using another country's documents!

Hope that helps,
Regards,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton), P.Eng (Ontario), MIPENZ (Structural-New Zealand)
Working in Canada, and missing my adoptive New Zealand family... at least I brought the little Kiwi with me!

For circular plates get the Cook and Young Advanced Mechanics of Materials 1985 edition. For square and rectangular plates get the J.Reddy Book Theory of Elastic Plates and Shells 2007 edition. These two books I have and really simplify the math. Also the Roark book is very practical. Also the Arthur Boresi book may help you. Two way bending is typically done on plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back