simple quick mechanical disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuadenenberg

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2013
US
Hi there,
A very simple one. I am looking to incorporate a mechanical quick disconnect feature into a consumer product. I am inserting a round member(5/8") into another(3/4 or 1 ") to a depth of 1/2" or so. The material is Delrin. The connection needs to be rattle proof tight, but not much more. The joint needs to assure radial location and would see no more than 100 lbs of force along its axis . My primary concern is cost. Does anyone have any experience with this type of application. Perhaps some kind of square thread, or standard thread with a locating hole? Thumb screw or spring type quick release handle? Any general tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Joshua Denenberg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply...I checked out these products. Something like a spring loaded hand retractable plunger might be useful for the locating pin, but may be to costly. Thanks though, some fuel for further research....
Josh

Does it need to be that complicated? I'm thinking some of the personal computer (PC) power connectors might work OK. I'm not up on part numbers, but if you have a desktop and open it up, most of the motherboard connectors have thumb/finger tabs that secure the connectors to their mates, and other than insertion/extraction force of the metal pins of the connector, they're relatively quick to connect/disconnect. They appear to be single-piece molded nylon or plastic of some sort. My impression of Delrin is that it might be a bit too soft/pliable for something like this, though.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I'm with JStephen. Lots of homebrew bicycle trailers use air chucks as quick releases, so they should also be strong enough for your purposes.

Thanks for all the responses... I think I'll be designing in a hand retractable locking type plunger for positive radial positioning...Any ideas as far as to what type of 1/4 turn threads work well for this type of application for taking the axial forces? Single or double start Acme threads? Anybody know of a good site for this kind of general info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back