Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple readout question of probe in isolator/coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfDrK

Materials
Feb 12, 2006
US
I have two 2.45 GHz isolators, one with sma and the other with N connectors that go to probes in the body of the isolators. Are these probe outputs standard in the industry or can I only use a calibrated meter made by the same company as the isolator? Can I safely (rely-on)adapt from sma to N or vice versa on these connections to a meter? How might I 'read' a calibrated signal from these with a multimeter or oscope (or is that even possible)? I don't have the meter from either of these brands of isolators (National and Aztex).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Part numbers for the isolators would help. Is this "probe" output tapping off a small amount of the main feed, or is it the main feed itself?

An SMA or N adapter will generally be "lossless"; however it will have a mismatch (say VSWR=1.15), which will get closer to 1 as you spend more money.

Don't try to measure 2.45GHz with a multimeter or a scope. You need either a spectrum analyser or a power meter.

Probably power meter is more precise then spectrum analyzer The precision of most power meters are down to 0.03dB+/-, spectrum analyzer can have up to 2dB tolerance - depend of model and manufacture. Power meters from any manufacture should be OK (Boonton, Anritsu, Agilent, Rochde&Shawarz...)

In same cases it is difficult perform calibration due to difference in connector type or gender. In such cases adapter exchange is used to minimize the loses.
In this case, the general rules are to used adapters with the same length from the same manufacture (usually they similar characteristic) if appropriate (vector) correction can't be perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back