Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Scientific and Technical Illustrative, Explaining figures 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngTipX

Mechanical
May 23, 2011
CA
I am trying to create simple illustrative figures, like the ones you see in textbooks. My figures are a bit different I have a cylinder in space that is cut by three perpendicular planes (standard planes) and an oblique plane. The a vector perpendicular to the oblique plane surface makes two angles let say theta 0 and alpha 0 (with the standard plane). The cylinder is made up of different layers.
I would like to show coordinate system like x, y and on the planes also cylindrical.
The figures are like those found in dynamics books. My question is what is the best software to use. I am fimiliar with solidworks have already built cylinder parts and assembled them.
The problem is in the annotation part. I am trying to use theta symbol with subscript of 0 and alpha symbol with subscript of 0. I want to place arrows representing the x, y and z planes. Also I am trying to place angles on different planes. In brief, my biggest problem is to annotate. Also I would like to show intersecting lines between assembly and planes. I was able to show lines between planes intersecting planes.
I was able to change plane transparency but how if I want to change it's color...

I have checked adobe illustrator however not only I am not fimiliar with it but also I found it does not provide me with the same solid modeling capabilities.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could create surfaces to represent the planes, and set their transparency to suit. If trimmed correctly, 'intersecting' edges will be seen. Surface colours can also be easily set.

Sketches and dimensions can be created on those planes.

@CorBlimeyLimey
I used the standard planes and was able to change their transparency. However, I could not change each plane color. I was able to display them intersecting each other but could not make them intersect bodies. I thought about creating parts to represent planes but did not like it because there will be thickness. The idea of using surfaces is great.

@Eltron
I thought about that but the problem of using a different program to annotate is:
How can you place the arrows representing the coordinates correctly? I need them to be on specific planes
Also how can you place the arrows of the oblique (intersecting planes)? You need a program that understands solid works assembly files

I don't see why using solids as planes with a minimum thickness would be an issue. You can easily annotate, color as needed, set transparencies as needed then rotate and view to gather the best view angles.. The parts depicting planes can be midline generated at 0.0005" for illustrative purposes, seems like it would work perfectly.

@rbpmc
For me annotation is the issue how can you use subscript? For example for the angle theta_0, Also how can you draw the axis?

EngTipX

I would do as rbpmc suggested.

For the Theta_0 you can draw them and
imprint them onto the surfaces. If they do not show up on
the drawing you might have to turn on Tang. lines.

Frank

I would think that if you would be able select a subscript in the windows character map then wrap it onto the surface, you could then export as a parasolid and there would be no need for concern that another system carries the same font.

Thanks to anyone who suggested anything for your suggestion

@rbpmc I did not fully understand your suggestion. I do not have solidworks right now. I have it on a different computer but let me tell you what I am thinking of doing:

-Use surfaces to create planes (thickness will not be an issue)
-I am not sure how to place the arrow lines but I'll try the imprint idea
-For the annotation I am not sure how it would look if I imprinted it on surface
-I am not sure how the Mathfonts will work

There is no specific function called imprint that I'm aware of. The function I'm thinking may work for you is called " wrap " . You typically set up a parallel plane to the surface you want to wrap to and create a sketch. In this case the sketch is font type common to your windows fonts available to your system. There are arrows available in the wingdings font for instance, and I have been able to stretch them out somewhat. This may work for you. Of course you can sketch any shape you like, so make your own. You then " project " that sketch onto your surface and you can - emboss, de-boss, or scribe the sketch onto that surface. You can then attribute colors to those scribed or bossed sketches. There are some rules to the wrap feature that need to be learned, but I think with some practice you will be able to get your design in place.

@ rbpmc I just tried today the idea of sketching on surface then writing text. I picked wingdings font then pick the arrow the arrow did not align with the edges. I do not know why. I can place the arrow on either side of an edge ...

You could create revolved solids for your coordinate system arrows and then mate them into place on the planes and other locations of interest. The same could also be done for the angle dimensions. Make a couple of small cones for the arrow heads and then sweep a circle along circular arcs.

Eric

The visual display of planes can be dragged and / or resized as desired, visually not geometrically.

Perhaps some combination of planes and section views? Theres a button to turn on plane-intersection lines. It is sometimes helpful to make a drawing and manipulate the view and annotate as there are slightly more text handling tools in Solidworks drawing environment.

However, for any coherent, reduced swearing and screaming at the computer, any textual annotation should be done in a desktop publishing tool. Forget about drawing random arrowhead leaders as desired in Solidworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back