Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple Shear Connection w/ Axial Load W Beam to HSS Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szubert80

Structural
Dec 11, 2013
CA
I have connection to be designed between W24X55 beam and HSS10X10X5/16 column. Vertical shear load is Vf=135kips and axial load is Pa=130kips. Double angle clip is not an option due to considerable axial load. Longitudinal through plate connection is not sufficient as hss wall plastification limit state is not satisfied. I`m considering a T-Stub with 1/2" thick longitudinal plate although it would need to be welded all round to avoid any torsion in vertical welds. Second option would be a single angle clip welded along heel with full return at top and bottom as shown in CISC Steel Construction Manual.It would be much appreciated if you could share any other ideas for this type of connection.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP said:
Longitudinal through plate connection is not sufficient as hss wall plastification limit state is not satisfied

Through plate sounds like the way to go to me. Not sure what the plastification issues are as the tension should really pass through the joint without ever really touching the column.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

if possible, my first solution would be to run the bm over the top of the col and splice it to the other bm 2 to 3' past the col......

SAIL
Yes, the beam actually supposed to run over the top of column. This way there is no issue with transfering axial load at this location.
KootK
I was looking at the beam connecting to the external column which is part of the framing for precast wall system. There was no chevron bracing at that time so through plate connection at external column didn`t work because of wall plastification.
Thank you everyone for your comments.

I'm with Sail3... but, would run the splice to approx 1/6 or so of the span... and look into plastic design for the beam, too... .0858 ql^2, and a Class 1 section.

Dik

What above a "cap plate" that runs between the two beam top flanges and is designed for the axial force only. Total length might be on the order of 30" with a width and thickness appropriate for the beam top flange width.
Weld as required to the column cap plate keep your unbraced length to a minimum (2" +/-) and continuous welds to the beam flange to get the loads in/out of the plate.

In this way, the axial force is transferred from beam to beam independently of the column walls or shear loads.

Answers to this question are varied because the problem was not well defined in the OP. I thought the column continued up, but when it was revealed that the beams can sit on cap plates, the issue went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back