Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple things with keywords (commands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Settler

Structural
May 22, 2010
US
Hello all,

I'm trying to learn the keywords for ABAQUS. So a few questions.

1. Why is it very harder than ANSYS?

2. I want to model and mesh a rectangle over another rectangle parametrically. (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h the nodes of the first solid, e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l) the nodes of the second one. How do I mesh it? How do I impose boundary conditions and contacts to it?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it is just text format, you can use whatever scripting or programming language you feel comfortable with to write out the input file, make one in CAE first to see what it looks like (or check out the examples and benchmark manual).

So that means I parametrically have to make a program that will create the meshing? There is not automatic meshing command?

Thanks

Hi,

There is not automatic meshing command?
Well, it depends what does "automatic meshing command" mean for you.

"automatic meshing command" means for me you are looking a command to mesh a specific geometry.
In this case the answer is no, there is no abaqus keyword to do it.
The reason is because there is no option to store any geometry information inside the inputdeck.

However there are four keywords which you can use to generate mesh for simple shapes:
- *NCOPY
- *NGEN
- *ELCOPY
- *ELGEN
In combination with parameters (*PARAMETER) they might be helpful for you.

"automatic meshing command" sounds more like abaqus scripting interface.
You can use python script (or write a macro) to mesh and setup whole your model with Abaqus/CAE and next generate final inputdeck.
For more details please take a look into Abaqus Scripting User's Manual.

Regards,
Bartosz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back