Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Simple viewer for .dwg 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechLAD

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2003
US
Does anybody know of any cheap viewers. more specifically, a 2d .dwg with the ability to measure. It is for a gie in the shop who doesnt need anything fancy just viewing with measurement. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chris, you're so right.
But maybe if these poor draughtsmen got continually called to the shop floor, or had to suffer frequent visits from the shop floor guys to their office, just maybe their dimensioning would improve!

Some of the young draughtsmen I see have failed to grasp why they are doing their drawings. A drawing is not an end, but a means to an end, to produce a manufactured item.

ps
I see you list SolidWorks. We are currently evaluating SolidWorks against Inventor. Are you able to to give any comment regarding strengths and weakness of these two systems?

PeterCharles, do a search in both the Inventor Forum, forum790 and the SolidWorks Forum, forum559

You'll find tons of prior conversations and suggestions to allow you to form you're own conclusions.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

ManMango is correct. Do a search. I have listed my opinions various times. I am not a ACAD/Inventor fan for various reasons.
More companies these days rely on their engineers to do the drafting or outsource the drafting. In turn, employees at the companies do not know how to read drawings or produce them. Drafting is a dying art. It is not taught much anymore, unless the individual seeks it.
I use eDrawings and Acrobat Reader for my viewers. A lot of times after I send our dwgs to customers/vendors, I get comments/questions back about what certain subjects mean or what is that symbol. eDrawings Prof works well for this because they can mark it up and email back to me.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

I have used Autocad Whip for viewing .dwf files. Basically Autocad can convert dwg file to dwf (drawing web files) which can be viewed in a browser. Measuring would be difficult, but it has zoom, print and layer on/off capabilities. The files are read-only, thus impeding un-authorized modifications.
Whip is installed like an active-X control so you can build an application in Delphi, VB, C or whatever language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back