Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple way to calculate reaction force of a rupture disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhadsh

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2015
CA
Is there any simple formula to calculate reaction forces created when a rupture disc burst? It is 6 inch steel pipe with mining backfill paste with density of 1800 kg/m3 and rupture disc rate for 80 bar. Can I assume max force created during bursting will be rated pressure of 80 bar multiplied by cross section area on 6 inch pipe?
I was unable to get some data from vendor. Any input will he helpful

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When the rupture disk opens, will the released liquid be into a straight, open-ended pipe going directly to atmosphere?
Or into any kind of bend or long pipe, any closed pipe or tank that will slow the slug of liquid coming down the pipe?

racookpe1978
There is a tee on main line and rupture disc is branched off the middle nozzle side of tee and will release to atmosphere. flow direction of material leaving rupture disc is vertical to main line flow direction on top side . I might add elbow after rupture disc to direct it to somewhere else based on available space but for sake of argument assume it releases directly to atmosphere. I guess with this configuration the reaction force will be perpendicular to main line and hence creating bending forces on tee nozzles. I have selected grooved coupling for tee disregard the coupling type there should be a simple formula for reaction force. Also when rupture disc burst the burst area is not necessary equal to pipe cross section area and most probably smaller but for simplicity assume it will be equal to pipe cross section area.

The reaction force is not due to hydrostatic pressure acting on an area. A rocket or jet creates thrust due to the momentum of the exhaust. You need the mass flow rate and velocity to calculate thrust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back