Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple workbench question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiBuell

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2005
US
So I am new to workbench and I have a question about applying a moment.

If I were to pick a circular surface and apply a moment to it, does Workbench apply that moment in the center of my circular surface?

It is showing the moment off center and the help section is really no help at all. I'm trying to learn this software without having to take yet another training class.

Thanks for any input.

-Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

if I remember it right, the representation of the loads applied are a little bit tricky: the vector (for a force) will be plot on the point you clicked in order to select the surface, line...Unfortunately I can not check it right now.

Hope it helps

Why not look at the deck that the program builds, you should be able to find the force or loading card, and from there it is just a matter of identifying which node is loaded.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Hemibuell,

The moment is applied at the center for a circular surface. I have used it in a number of simulations and results always made sense. When you say moment, I am assuming that you are referring to a couple. The arrow shows the direction of moment.

Thanks,

Gurmeet

Hi,
I do confirm both what Gurmeet and Farias say:
1- the "vector" appears (with the correct direction, though...) where you picked to select the application surface (or edge, or...)
2- application of torque on a cylindrical surface is exactly as you described: the torque axis is the surface's axis.

Regards

Some sample quote I got from various FEA suppliers this summer.

Algor linear package: 9900 w/ one year service
COSMOS linear: 7000, service is 2200 per year
ANSYS linear: 16000, service is 3000 per year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back