Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simplify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar7

Automotive
Jul 20, 2007
NZ
So what has happend to "simplify" in NX5.0.2.2

I'm guessing that the delete face in Direct modeling should be used instead ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, Delete Face is the primary replacement for the old Simplify Body. Also, for those who have used Simiplify Body as a tool to prepare (declutter/defeature) models for analysis, we are now including specialized tools with the simulation products that have been designed primarily for that purpose which also has many of the feature of the old Simplify Body.

Also note that with NX 6, there will be even more enhancements to what we've traditionally refereed to as Direct Modeling, now known, at least for marketing purposes, as Design Freedom, which will further provide capabilities which will make the need for a separate 'Simiplfy' tool, at least for modeling purposes, unnecessary.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
SIEMENS PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

I had the same question and was really dissappointed that such a powerful tool as "simplify body" was removed. The "delete face" command is more constraining. I contacted GTAC and they helped me re-enable the "simplify body" command in our NX 5 environment. "Delete Face" is far more tedious to use when you have work to do.

From GTAC

The Local Scale, Simplify Body and Edit Face commands are hidden in NX5.0.2 and
higher. You can add them back to the user interface with the following:

Local Scale: set the variable UGII_DMX_NX502 = 1 in NX502. In NX503 and
higher, use Tools -> Customize --> Commands tab --> Insert --> Direct Modeling
--> add the Scale Body (new name) to the menu.

Simplify Body: set the variable UGII_DMX_NX502 = 1 in NX502 and higher. You
may have to add the function using the Customize dialog as above to the Direct
Modeling menu.

Edit Face: with UGII_DMX_NX502 = 1 in NX503 and higher. This function will
appear at the bottom of the Edit menu.

Please, take my advice. Learn the new functions since those are the only ones that we are going to enhance and besides, if you ever want to create a journal or expect to use Redo with these commands, you have to use the new commands. Once a command gets relegated to the 'obsolete but not yet removed but it is hidden' status, we will not be as quick to fix problems nor will we, as implied, consider any additional enhancements or even continue to provide documentation or other 'support' efforts.

It's one thing to fall behind because for whatever reason you or your organization can't move to the latest release. But it is quite another when you do spend the time and resources to upgrade, but then demand that we tell you how to turn on the 'old functions' because you don't like the new ones. That's just being naive if you think that you 'can somehow have your cake and eat it to' and thus avoid having to learn the new way of doing things. NX is a software product that will continue to evolve in order to stay competitive and to continue to provide the best level of functionality possible. In order to accomplish that, things do and will change. Get used to it!

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Its also a little naive to think that the "new" functions completely replace the old, when they do not.

We use simplify (especially automatic hole removal) to prepare manufacturing files for some vendors or processes where delete face is a VERY tedious replacement. The old command in fact allowed near complete automation in our design libraries.

Its also a little naive to think that the "new" functions completely replace the old, when they do not.

Which is the only reason that we still provide the POSSIBILITY of going back to an old command, but that is still no excuse for not learning what the new functions are capable of doing, which is a great segue into what I'm sure was your justification for making the above remark in the first place.

We use simplify (especially automatic hole removal) to prepare manufacturing files for some vendors or processes where delete face is a VERY tedious replacement. The old command in fact allowed near complete automation in our design libraries.

And I suppose NO one ever cared to look at the fact that in the Type section of the Delete Face dialog that the option titled 'Face' was actually ONE of TWO options, the other being 'Hole', as shown in the image below.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Simplified feature can be modified and it was appeared in the model tree by nx502 and higher (e.g. nx6). But i unable to create new simplified feature. It was mentioned above, can I use only the delete face tool?

thanx
jrm

For what its worth we had users who had complained on and off for years that the selection method for simplify body was opposite of their intent. In other words most users wanted to be able to pick those faces which they needed removed. Apart from the selection method I can't see a great deal of difference between the two, and I think the majority of users prefer the new method.

Cheers

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back