Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating bolted joint connections. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvikas

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2002
IN
Hi friends,

Can anybody tell me, How to simulate the bolted joint connections?
I have a casting part which is bolted with another base surface using 4 bolts. I have consider only the casting part to be analysed. Which types of constraints I have to use for this analysis.
Pl. help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dvikas,

If you are a maintenance paying customer, you will have access to these Suggested Techniques on the PTC "Knowledge Base": [ul][li]Suggested Technique for Modeling Bolted Flange Connection Using Beam and Shell Elements ( [/li][li]Suggested Technique for Modeling Bolted Flange Connection using Beam Elements ( [/li][/ul]
All the same techniques used in other FEM software programs are applicable to MECHANICA. I found these threads in the Finite Element Analysis engineering Forum (forum727): [ul][li]Modelling Lap joint with HSFG Bolts In MSc NASTRAN (thread727-48342) [/li][li]FE modelling of bolted connections (thread727-32101)[/li][/ul]
Try also searching through some of the resources linked in the FAQ: PTC Pro/ENGINEER and Pro/MECHANICA internet resources (FAQ554-468).

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Igor,

Using the spot weld idealization will not impart the loads on the system like these other techniques do. All the spot weld will do is to provide connectivity to the members to be joined.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

The bolted connections on PTC's website are not easy to follow.
It seams they were made in the Stand alone version.
I have tried to follow them in the Integrated mode, they always fail.

Any other suggestions?

There is new bolted connection functionality in Wildfire. There should not be a need to use these old techniques with the new release of the software.

PTC said:
Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0: What's New

Fasteners:

Fasteners are now available in Structural and Thermal Simulation. Fasteners simulate bolt or screw connections joining two assembly components.

Benefits & Description:
Now you can easily define bolt fasteners in assemblies by selecting the holes that will be held together by the fastener, and by specifying a material and bolt diameter. No longer is the process long and tedious. For advanced fasteners, you can specify stiffness by spring properties as well as bolt pre-load values. Three types of bolt fasteners are supported:[li]Through bolts in solid models [/li][li]Through bolts in shell models [/li][li]Blind (screw) fasteners in solid models[/li]

There is a video available.

Source:
Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back