Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation failure with sandwich modele

Status
Not open for further replies.

floch

Jan 27, 2009
FR
Hi,

I have a problem with simulation, i modelise a sandwich with a solid part for the nida and surfacic part for the skins. I precise that the part is the composite tank.
I made the kind of model because I want to differ the plies in the skins and the existing module in solid simulation can't do it.
But the analysis failure because there are interference between the surface conctact of the skin and the nida.
I tried to change the contact, solidaire, no penetration...
I don't find the solution.

Have you an idea, please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want to do this in Cosmos/M because it has a laminate shell element. This is not available in CosmosWorks/Simulation AFAIK.

KTOP

Thanks
for accuratly, I work with solidworks 2009 simulation.
Exaltly, the model composite shell is not available in old version of solidworks.

I phoned at the hotline and they said the problem is onthe contact between the surface shell and the surface solid.
I put the contact manually (solidaire between each face in contact)
But the model don't want converge (the contact that i put didn't worked)

Connecting shell elements and solid elements is difficult. You are connecting an element with 6dof at each node with an element with 3dof at each node. If you don't constrain the rotational dof from the shell element then you will have an underconstrained model and therefore a singularity.

There are two ways commonly used to attach shells to solids.

1. overlap the shell and solid element where they join and merge nodes. The trick to this is that you have in effect doubled the stiffness of the structure in the overlap zone.

2. use rigid bar elements to transfer the rotational dof to translational dof. You probably can't do this in CosmosWorks/Simulation.

I don't know if you can do the first method in CosmosWorks/Simulation either.

CSWP
BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Thanks,

I try your solutions, Kellnerp, but the overlaping and using the rigid element don't work in my model.
Solidwords get across the surfacic model through the other part. It's very strange and i don't understand.
I have prefered to re-make the simulation under ANSYS v11 and that's run correctly.

Thank you again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back