Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation of a suspension with SimMechanics and SimHydraulics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verschuren

Automotive
Feb 24, 2011
NL
In the Simulink environment its possible to create a multi-body model for simulation a simple vehicle model. This is an option for simulating with a simple spring and damper. Now I want to simulate a hydro pneumatic suspension with SimHydraulics connected to the multi-body model of SimMechanics. Separately the models work perfect, but when connected together the solver gives problems. It is an option to solve the SimHydraulics model with a local solver. But even with a local solver applied the model is stuck.

Now is my question:
Is it possible to connect a SimHydraulics model to a SimMechanics model? Both are a Simscape toolboxes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Directly to your question. Not sure. As I have not used either of these.

When simulating something like you have described most of the time I derive the coupled model manually then solve the differential equation using Simulink or m-code.

Although, I know it is much faster using built in toolboxes ect. I have nothing against them.
Have you looked into MapleSim?
It can do exactly what you described in minutes. (No equations ect. )
It is helpful modeling very complex systems very quickly.

[peace]
Fe

Thanks for the quick response.

The problem is that this is meant to be a modular solution. When changing the car specifications, will the suspension remain the same. Simulating the suspension in Simulink works fine. But its a time consuming activity. The model will act as a tool to specify the desired damping.

I'll have a look into mapleSim, but I haven't got any experience with it.

I proposed MapleSim for an option outside of Simulink. I personally would do this in Simulink (by DE's) unless there is some stringent time limitation on time or you would like to get it completed quicker. MapleSim is very easy to learn and can be 'learnt' in a few hours. Especially due to the fact that they have many example models (even complete suspension systems) to look at.

[peace]
Fe

Funny, I now prefer SimMechanics to Maple, as I am using it now.

It is possible to connect the 2. A stuck model is usually a physical problem or singularity.

[peace]
Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back