Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulation of underwater air compartment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevaughn

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2006
US
I want to perform a simulation of an air compartment (rotomolded plastic float tank) as it is pushed underwater to 75% of its buoyant capacity. The pressure on the inside stays the same, but the pressure on the outside changes as water depth increases. The submersion depth is only about 30" with a 40" tall tank (75% underwater). I am wanting to look at the wall deformation as well as reaction forces from the weight used to push the tank underwater.

I'm having problems getting this set up though. I'm trying to use nonuniform pressure distribution with .036 psi for every inch of water depth... but not having much luck.

Can someone please help explain how they would set this simulation up. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the external pressure, I'd split the outside face at the 75% submergence mark and add a coordinate system somewhere to define the equation for water pressure. Pressure is a linear function of the water. You set up the non uniform pressure relationship in the form of a linear equation y=f(x).

For the internal air pressure, select the internal face and apply a pressure.

For the loads to hold the object down, I'd probably split the surface to represent the area of the object that is held and then apply a restraint. The water will have a net upward force on the object.

Dont forget to add gravity an define the density of the object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back