Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disb

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2010
How much programming is involved in simulation? (specifically C programming or Matlab/simulink). I know the fundamentals of both, but depends on how intensive the programming is.

Can simulation be thought of as one big video game?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In some respects, it is, and in some respects, it's way more mathematically complicated. You've not said what specific problem you're trying to simulate, and each specific problem may have a specific solution.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'm basically going to model an automobile in MSC Adams application and will be required to do some programming. That was all the info I was given. I was curious as to how much programming knowledge was required.

In terms of code size the solver, which does the grunt work of the sim, is much smaller than the graphics display part.

The prepocessor can be any size, from a text editor, through to a database editor, to a 3D CAD look alike. So the code size for that could be anywhere from zero through to the same as the display.

That being said you could write an entire MBDS program in Excel, from data input to solving to graphical display.

If you are looking at FEM look at OpenFEM for Matlab, no need to write any code.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back