Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simultaneous dust and organic vapor control in mixing tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

leakyseal

Chemical
Oct 29, 2007
US
Hi,

We are compounding glycols with surfactants and other powdered additives in a large agitated tank. Powder addition is generally brute force bag breaking over an open hatch. Glycol is heated to enhance dissolution of solids.

There are thus two problems associated with the tank. Generate enough negative pressure to collect the free dusts, i.e. a tank mounted dust collector, but also collect and condense organic vapours, which cannot exit the tank and also cannot condense within and gunk up the filter housing or other dust extraction gear.

My mind keeps orbiting around a vent condenser in series with the dust extractor, maybe with occasional misting or spraydown to keep solids buildup at bay. Commercial solutions are not leaping out at me.

Anyone designed or specified gear of this type?

thanks
Leaky

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible to use liquid products instead of dry products?

What about premixing the dry ingredients with the liquid before adding to the tank? Than you can pump the liquids in.

How about using a lock hopper or a rotary valve to keep your vapors in the tank. Technically the glycols should not be flammable and you could just give your guys supplied air and shovel the mess in but that would be a horrible job.

Good luck

StoneCold

What is the size and shape of the tank? Can the pump capacity be accelerated? Are you willing to resize the pump to increase the agitation?

The situation can be resolved by entraining the solids and vapors in the liquid without the need for odor control equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back