Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single and Double Random Lenght of Pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapid1348

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2004
I would like to know how u would interprete the single and double random lenght of pipes in the language of piping.
Does it have any relation with the size of the pipe?
What is the minimum single and minmum double random lenght of pipes?

Cheers

Rapid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DRL and SRL pipe have to do with the length of the pipe "stalks" and not diameter or wall thickness. This is usually important for the transportation of the pipe from the mills to the suppliers or to the jobsites. By definition SRL is single random length - line pipe with 17.5' minimum average length and of course, DRL is double random length at 35+' minimum average (typically around 39 to 40')with ends cut and beveled for welding.

Both of you said about the same thing, but neither was terribly clear.

Single random pipe has an average length of 20 feet. Any given joint will be somewhere between 17.5 and 22.5 feet.

Double random is 40 feet on average with any given joint being between 37.5 and 42.5 feet.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

But if you ask the mill nicely, and you can transport it, you can get longer pipe- I got 18m joints (instead of ususal 12m double random lengths) from Mannesman for a project and eliminated a third of the welds....

I was interested to read the above.

In the UK, its usually 'would you like a 3m or a 6m length'. We buy a lot of flanges in the UK.(and weld a lot too.)

I would also guess that if we put a 40' length on a lorry, we would struggle to bend it round our tight roads.

What sizes do you get SRL and DRL in? Is it limited to say 6" and above or any size.

Friar Tuck of Sherwood

friartuck,
DrillerNic said it well, if you ask (and it doesn't have to be that nice) the mill will cut off your run at any length you want. I've bought DRL pipe in 4-20" sizes and the only reason I've not bought larger is I haven't laid anything larger.

I've found more problems with getting long joints hung up on dips in the road than on twisty roads (we have them too).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

If your project is near a freeway or has a good shot to the freeway with no urban 90 degree bends, I'd look at 60 foot lengths. You will need an oversize load permit, etc but cut the wlds on 120 feet to 1 instead of 2 (40') or 5 (20').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back