Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Line Diagram Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivana24

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2007
RS
For the small article what I have to prepare as Word (.doc) document, I want to insert two/three simple Single Line Diagrams
( breaker, transformer, recloser, buses, short circuit symbol etc.)

How to do that ? Also, how to insert there a text tagging transformers (T1,T2), buses (B1,B2) etc. ??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How to insert Single Line Diagrams in my text to be accepted by Word/Windows ??
Thanks

If you have a diagram already that was created in some other software, such as CAD, then you must save the file as a graphics image file, such as a jpeg (.jpg), GIF (.gif) or bitmap (.bmp) format. If your drawing program does not have that capability, there are utility programs that can convert. but once that image is created, it cannot be altered other than altering it in the original program and saving the revision again as an image.

If you need to create a simple diagram inside of a MSWord document, there is a Draw function inside of Word the gives you simple tools for creating images. This also gives you the ability to edit the drawing as well. I use that all the time and over the years I have created and saved a separate document that is essentially a library of symbols and shapes that I can copy and paste into new documents. saves a lot of time. But as far as I know, nobody sells a Word symbol library for electrical work. The drawback to using the MSWord Draw function is that it is tedious to use so if the drawing is complex, it can be a real drag.

If the drawing is more complex, MS Visio is available with electrical libraries, and you can freely export Visio drawings into Word documents as objects, then edit them inside the document later, as long as it's on the PC that has Visio on it. it's very seamless and I highly recommend it if you will be doing any extensive work like that.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back