Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

single line diagrams 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOTWW

Industrial
Jan 21, 2004
US
Is there a "utilities" standard for drawing single line diagrams of medium voltage distribution systems? I need to unravel a web of such, that has been tagged onto, and modified, and such for many years. My experence in commercial A&E is that the stuff is somewhat indivdualized.

I hate re-work, and free-lance picoso's. Forget SKM, etc. My boss is cheap.

Thanks V/R
Mr. GOTWW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi gotww,

There is an IEC standard of symbols you could use some of, but in general almost all manufactures of MV equipment have some "manufacturer" deviations and peculiarities in there SL designs, some give much information on the drawing orther are very limited. Lots depends on who made the drawing and who is the customer, utilities mostly like to see lots of information on the SL drawing (and have there own codes for equipment etc...)most utilities use these SL drawings even on site. In industry its many times just a general presentation guide for commercial purposes and the detailed drawings are considered more importance.

kind regards,

Danny

It seems that the amount of information is proportional to the size of the drawing. If you can work with full size sheets, then it becomes more clear, big picture, good for the planners, but, with the workers with 8.8X11" it is not good at all.

I have found that a "B" size or 11 x 17 works fantastic in the field. It is exactly 1/2 the standard planning size drawings and the information still shows up quite well.

I just recently did a single line for a 69kV/7.2kV/5kV distribution system, right down to the 7.2kV/480V transformers and managed to get all the breaker protection devices, PT's, CT, NGR, etc. info onto the drawing and still have it readable by the field installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back