Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Pass Laser Cut Lettering on Sheetmetal Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowman

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2004
US
I am trying to add a single pass Laser cut of a letter on a sheetmetal part. Only need a simple "L" and "R" be added on a symetric piece, so that the part can be properly formed.
I have tried adding sketched text and cutting the part, but always get an error on the "R" because of the closed loop. Any ideas on the best way to handle this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry,
Just figured it out.
Clicked off the "Normal Cut" button when I cut out the sketch containing the text, and selected the body I wanted to keep (not the body of the closed loop on the "R").

I guess the simplest answer is don't close the loop. Leave some material in between the vertical line on the left and the corner of the loop/leg. Another option is to program this as 3 different lines, left leg, right leg, and loop.

Goto someplace like or fonts.com and find yourself some stencil fonts that allow all the drops of the letters to stay attached to the sheet. We use cut text on a regular basis for tooling identification.

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
--Howard Aiken, IBM engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back