Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Phase Variable Frequency Drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodrowJWeen

Electrical
Jul 30, 2003
US
Does anyone know who makes a VFD for a 1/2 HP, 5V, 1PH fan motor? This needs to be in a NEMA 1 enclosure. We can't just use a simple wall box fan speed controller because the speed will be controlled automatically by a differential pressure monitor to accomodate filter loading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Point taken (with a slight aftertaste of crow).

"Venditori de oleum-vipera non vigere excordis populi"

"Eating crow" is an English (maybe only American?) expression of humility in the face of having made a mistake. I heard that it came about in an exchange between British and American soldiers during a cease fire in the War of 1812. A British prisoner complained to the American soldier guarding him that he was hungry. The Yank shot a crow 100 yards away and told the Brit he could eat that. The Brit started to, but at the same time he admired the Yank's marksmanship and asked to see the gun. When the Yank complied, the Brit turned the gun on him and forced him to eat the crow. Half way through it, the Yank feigned liking it and offered the Brit a taste. When the Brit tried it, the Yank grabbed the gun back and forced the Brit to eat the rest!

Now, using the reference of eating (or tasting) crow implies the distastful result of making a public mistake.

Try
There are a number of applications of this brand here in New Zealand. We used these mostly for pumps, but the fan loads may also be suitable. We had a lot of experience commissioning them (good and bad) in 1997. Though we burnt out a number of motors because process designers did not specify their turndown requirements adequately, some of the failures were thought to be due to 'first turn failure' even though thermisters were fitted. We pressed the supplier for a solution and I understand that they finally upgraded their thermal model to achieve acceptable performance without burn-out. Their drive is IP54. PDL was bought out by Schneider.

Hope I don't sound like I am promoting this company as I am struggling with a client who wants to buy them for everything even though there are definite weaknesses in their range (especially larger drives). The reason that they were preferred was their support, but that has diminished since the Schneider buy-out.

Still, it is a 3 phase output.

Hoffman Controles makes an electronic speed control for single phase motors 120-480vac that will take a 4-20mA control signal. Model #708-BVmA or 708-CVmA phone #(972)243-7425. These controllers will only work with shaded pole or permanent split capacitor motors, all others will burn up.

Nice find. That makes 2 that I know of now, thanks.

Thanks, all for the help. We will probably spec a drive from Anacon Systems or Bardac Drives. They look identical on their web pages.

Yes, the Bardac drives are brand-labeled from Anacon. That makes 3 available (actually 2 1/2 since it is really the same drive with 2 sources)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back