Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Plate Connection to Column Web - Eccentricity of bolts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixeric

Structural
Apr 19, 2007
hello All:

I had always assumed that a single plate connection to column web (with a> 3.5") is an "extended configuration" per AISC as the bolt line is typically more than the AISC stipulated value of 3 1/2" and one cannot ignore eccentricity when considering the bolt strength.

However, when I use DESCON software to design a moment connection to column web the bolts strength is being arrived at by assuming that there exists NO eccentricity even if the "a" dimension is greater than 3.5". Does the fact that the shear tab being welded to the plate stiffeners of the column have something to do with this or am I doing something wrong?

Appreciate your input!
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The determining factor in your example is the moment connected beam. The flange welded or flange bolted connection eliminates the eccentricity in the extended shear plate and beam web bolts.

For non-moment connected beams there have been many discussions related to the appropriate eccentricity to be considered in the bolts. The AISC design examples and most software applications, consider eccentricity to the weld line. This is regardless of whether stiffener plates are provided.

Arguments can be made for taking eccentricity to the toes of the column, or the nuetral axis of the "C" weld group. Depending on the loading, these options may induce moment in the column, that should be considered in the column design.

PS The rules for eccentricity in single plate connections (shear tab) have changed again in the 14th Edition manual.

Providing fabrication and erection efficient structural design of connections. Consulting services for structural welding and bolting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back