Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Plate connections to Tube Steel Columns 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCIndiana

Structural
Feb 19, 2004
US
Is there any design guide/tool/analysis that adresses Single Plate connections to Tube Steel Columns? I am particulary interested in welded single plate connections against the side of the tube column supporting beams in shear connections. When do we get beyond what is reasonable for the tube skin to withstand such a support condition?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that for the connections listed in the AISC Manual, and for standard HSS wall thicknesses, that this is not a problem (although I am not sure you can prove it mathematically). One thing I do, however, is design the tube for the moment induced (reaction times distance between tube centerline and bolt line).

DaveAtkins

See Hollow Structural Sections Connections Manual.
This is available through AISC, AISI, and The Steel Tube Institute of North America. It covers single plate connections in the section on shear. This is a very helpful guide for designing with tube sections.

I did an Excel spreadsheet a couple of years ago to design these connections. The book SperlingPE is referencing is what I used for the design. The only issue I had with it, was the book is written more for LRFD, so I had to change some formulas over to ASD. No one ever back checked it for me though, so there is probably some glitches. I should have a back-up copy of it somewhere if you want me to email it after I find it. I'll need your address. Just put something in the address that I'd know to remove so a webcrawler won't scavenge your email. And wish me luck on finding it as I've changed jobs and haven't a clue on what zip disk I would have put it on.

Check out Omar Blogett's book available from Lincoln Electric Co., Cleveland, OH. This is the most comprehensive book I have ever seen on steel design & connections, particularly related to welding. Blodgett shows how to do a yield-line analysis on the face of the tube. Highly recommended, even beyond what you are doing!

A finite element model of the plate/skin connection will show the stress distribution. It is usually not a problem unless you have some unaccounted moment thrown in there.

The shear stress distribution is clearly a "V" shape from the center of the plate downward, with rather quick attenuation of stress moving toward the rolled corners.

**Need Professional Development Hours / Continuing Education ??
**Try this course...

because you have a semi-rigid connection, thus developing moment, there is actually a punching shear developed in the column. It's not as easy as shear distribution.

You also get plate rupture which needs to be checked.

The moment induces horizontal shear in the bolts which must be added to the vertical shear the total of which should be less than allowable.

It's not as simple as one would. The reason I developed the spreadsheet for these calculations, is I had to design numerous ones for a job.

BTW, I did find the spreadsheets if you're interested. It takes 2 because the connection spreadsheet looks up values in the shape spreadsheet

ChipB,

I sure would like to have a copy of your connection spreadsheet to ruminate over! Please send to jheidt2543@aol.com

Thanks in advance!

ChipB

Yes, I would like to receive your spreadsheet. I just could not figure a way to e-mail to you.

My address is, with proper modification, mmp(deletethis)@troyergroup.com

Thank you.

Just a thought but is it possible for eng-tips to start up a file exchange to facilitate the file transfer. It would sure make life easier for some-one offering a file for others to look at.

Regards
sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back