Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single shot impact in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperboy84

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2010
GB
Hi

I would like to simulate a single steel shot impact on a steel metal surface and measure the residual stresses and the rebounding velocity of the shot after impact (coefficient of restitution). Simulation should be in 3D. The initial velocity of the shots are about 70 m/s. Is high stress strain rate data required to model the deformation? What is the best approach to this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Basically it depends on your test data. I would start with the standard material properties on Matweb for the material of the surface and projectile unless material test data is available. From there refinement is probably required. I suggest using any symmetry possible in the model to reduce it's size. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply. I couldn't find any material test data and will use the material properties that is available on Matweb.

Many Abaqus examples use fixed displacements for loading and unloading.
In terms of measuring the rebounding velocity, what method would be most appropriate one to use?

Aaron

Don't use displacements for loading and unloading since you don't know exactly how the shots will slow down. Use initial velocity instead. That way the rebound velocity of the shot will come out as a result from the simulation.

Nagi Elabbasi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back