Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sirius satellite signal through glass 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcerh5

Chemical
Mar 28, 2006
US
Hi All,

Don't know if anyone has the answer to this but would like to know if there is anyway I can recieve Sirius satellite signal through double insulated glass w/tint? I can't mount an antenna outside (well I could but that would probably shorten my employment). Building is a steel framed office building w/glass exterior.

Is there anyway I can modify an antenna so that I can pick up a signal? Can I use the glass/steel frame as an antenna of sorts? I am facing in the correct direction for a stationary antenna.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Modern energy saving glass and glass tint films have a thin metal coating to block infrared (heat) radiation. This also blocks RF. Standard window glass is no problem for RF signals such as satellite TV or satellite radio. But energy saving glass is like trying to receive the signal through a thin sheet of metal.

AM, FM, and TV signals have less of a problem because signals are broadcast with much more power. Satellite signals are transmitted with carefully calculated signal levels to just get-the-job-done (i.e. link budget) since power generation is limited on a satellite.

The only thing I can suggest is an antenna on the roof.

That's what I figured...

Is there any way to mofify the antenna so that it uses the exterior steel? Sort of like using aluminum foil on the old rabbit ears.

Can I make existing antenna's more sensitive?

This is not my area and would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

If you were trying to receive shortwave signals, then connecting to the window frame would be adequate (I did that in college). At the frequency for Sirius ? - doubt it would work at all. You would probably have a better chance of receiving the signal through a wall rather than the window.

As for an amplifer for you antenna. I guess-tu-mate such a window/frame combination is causing a 15 to 30 dB attenuation. I don't know anyting about Sirius but I doubt they left this much margin in their link budget. There is a theoritical limit as to how low a signal can be received given the gain/temperature of the antenna and the noise figure/gain (primarily) of the first amplifer stage.

How about trying to get an internet connection to the station you are interested in? Or, how about setting up your receiver at home and linking to it over the internet? There is always MP3 and iPods. Sorry I can't offer more. This goes a little outside my experience.

If this window "belongs" to you, i.e., it's only accessible to your cube or office, then you might simply try to find or build a bigger antenna that you might be able to disguise as some sort of window decoration.

TTFN

Thanks for the input - as far as streaming internet connections that's highly frowned upon.

Window is mine and was looking for larger antennas with no avail.

Had a thought to modify existing antenna into a sort of dish - fabricate a dish similar to satellite tv with the antenna in the middle? Any thoughts on whether this would be feasible or not? If so, is the special paint they put on dishes commercially available?

I do know some satellite signals do get through as a colleague has XM and is able to get some reception.

Bought the strongest commercially available antenna to no avail.

Can anyone point me towards info into how to make a better antenna? I have all the specs, frequency etc for the sirius antenna? I can put it together but don't know what I need.

Can I use the existing antennas and amplify the signal through the use of a parabolic dish?

Is this a lost cause?

To be honest - I'ld like to listen to Howard Stern in the morning!!

Hacking your own Sirius antenna is difficult--receivers give an "antenna error" if they can't detect an antenna with the proper load (as the antennas have a preamp).

Even though this is a satellite-centric forum, is there a Sirius ground repeater nearby your office? Can you check via the signal quality displays of a Sirius radio which is outside your office? Knowing if there's a nearby repeater, and the direction it's coming from, could help. In my office, I get Sirius loud and clear, even with tinted windows, because there's a repeater nearby (the windows block any satellite signals). But I first had to find the "sweet spot" in my cubicle which would get the best repeater reception--in my case, the repeater is coming horizontally from the opposite (East) side of the office. If you don't know if you have a nearby repeater, can you tell us which city (and which section of the city) your office is in? We can look it up.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to locate repeater by using antenna outside. If anyone has the locations of the repeaters in the NY metro area - Suffern, NY 10901 would be greatly appreciated.

Also, outdoor antenna might still work as one I tried in the office turned out to be DOA. Go figure.

Looks like the nearest Sirius repeaters are near Pearl River NY and Paramus NJ. But these repeaters are at least 7 mi away from Suffern, so they may not be able to penetrate your office's tinted windows--and they're not necessarily aimed in your direction. Sirius says that they're working on getting Stern on their streaming Internet service for their subscribers, so if you can't get him via radio, you might have to wait for the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back