Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sizing a Chequered Plate --- Pounders Equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

normm

Structural
Jan 29, 2008
GB
I am trying to size up a chequered plate cover over an opening to support udl and point / patch load that can be placed anywhere. In the UK I get safe working load capacity table from SCI steel construction Institute Blue Book which gives safe load table for udl only. The table is based on Pounders equation. But how do I get it for point or patch load that can be placed anywhere in a plate? Do you know any such table without doing complicated FEA ? Any comments will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have access to Roark's book that would be a help. Lots of equations for various loads on beams, plates, and other things with a wide variety of boundary conditions. Timoshenko's theory of plates and shells would be a good resource as well. You could also approach it using yield line analysis, but be careful with that as it is an upper bound solution and you have to be certain your selected mechanism is correct.

Depending on the size of the plate and the nature & magnitude of the patch load I would consider spreading the patch load into a UDL and just design for the combined.

I'd at least look at the effect on the selected plate thickness. If I had to bump up the thickness by a few sizes to do the above, I think it would be worth it.

Yeah, what's your point load defined as? If it's a fairly large 'point' and it's a one way spanning plate you could probably whip it out in two minutes by taking an assumed plate tributary width and designing it as a one way spanning beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back