Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sizing concrete reinforcing if stresses in concrete are known

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenVal

Structural
Jun 5, 2009
CA
I am designing a vertical concrete support pier for a navigation canal closure gate. The pier is quite massive - 16' wide x 50' long x 34' tall approx and is solid concrete. Ordinarily I would design this by hand as a cantilevered beam; solve for moments about the base, and size reinforcing from that. However, the client wants me to use STAAD.pro, a software with which I am not all that familiar. I modeled the pier as a series of solid objects and ran the program. The only output I could get was stresses at the corners of each solid, measured in k/ft^2. How do I take this data and convert it to something useful - like moment and shear?Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you model the pier as a simple beam element instead of a collection of solid elements? It would follow the same procedure as your hand calculations and be easy to check. And your client would get a STAAD Pro analysis.

I think the client has a valid reason. The dimensions of your pier is such that it can not really be modelled as a frame element and beam theory is not really applicable

And using procedures of determining reinforcements from moments may not be appropriate since such procedures are based on limit strains and some compression block estimations.

I am not very familiar with solid modelling but I think if your stresses are too low(probably the case) then the mass is in elastic stress range and thermal cracking will matter more than strength consideration.

Can you have a look at any book on structural design of dams or massive hydraulic structures?

respects
ijr

You maybe want to hunt around in the documentation. According to the STAAD website:
Concrete Design :

* Design of Concrete Beam/Column/Slab/Footing as per all major international codes
* Numerical and Graphical Design Outputs with complete reinforcement details.
* IS 456-2000 for RCC design implemented.
* RC detailer as per IS 456-2000 has been implemented which has given a new dimension to RCC design never witnessed in STAAD before.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back