Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sizing earthen thermal storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

billn

Aug 22, 1999
US
I just installed storage cells under my house using quarry fill with water circulation tubes. 3 separate insulated containers totaling about 80 tons. If I could heat them up to 110 deg F and deplete the temperature to 90, assume a 30 deg F. delta T, how many BTU's could I get out and at what rate ?<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you done any experiments to determine the heat tranfer efficiencies and caloric properties of the rock? Have you measured the insulation capability of the containers - perhaps by filling them with a known amount of energy and allowing them to cool over time?

Mike, <br>
I have not done any experiments like that yet. The system is not "on line" yet. I am still building the house over it. I Once it is piped I will be able to do such testing. The media is a known quantity. It is mostly basalt. The particle size ranges from 3/4" to dust. It was compacted to about 95%.<br>
It is surrounded by 2" extruded polystyrene foam boards.

Bill, hoping your e-mail is still valid, how is this project going ? I am very intrested in seeing some results.

g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back