Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skeleton vs Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

proengineer

Mechanical
May 28, 2001
IN
Talking in terms of Pro/E, what is the diffence in the functionalities of a skeleton over a normal part file?

Both gives all the facilities of creating features, cut sections etc. Only additional benefit of using the Pro/E functionality of a Skeleton Part over a normal part file is that the Skeleton automatically moves up in the assembly as the first component in the assembly, irrespective of when it is created.

Amish

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are some nitty-gritty pertaining to SkelModels:

1. Skeletons do not show up in the BOM and do not contribute to mass or surface properties.

2. Skeletons are represented by a unique icon in the Model Tree because their functional characteristics are significantly different from those of other components.

3. Specially handled during the creation and manipulation of simplified representations and Shrinkwrap features.

4. If the scope setting is Skeleton Model, references are allowed to each skeleton model in the subassembly, as well as to any higher-level skeleton models, even when the object being modified is a skeleton model.

5. Skeleton models can maintain their own family tables. This enhancement allows assemblies to maintain different skeleton instances across a family table.

6. Beginning with release 2001, you can create a simplified representation from a skeleton model.

Oh yeah...if Insert Mode is active when you are in the assembly mode, you cannot create the skeleton model.

I could spend a day talking about skel models, but let me know if you need more specific info.

Peter

Thanks,
I will like to put my question again in a little different manner.

What are the pros and cons of making a "normal part work as skeleton" and "a true skeleton part made in Pro/E"?

I have seen a company using a normal part work as skeleton. I wonder what benefit they are getting by this methodology, over loosing the benefits of true skeleton (mentioned above by Peter)

Amish

Amish,

My company only uses the part skeleton as apposed the design manager (DM) skeleton functionality in assemblies. I have extensive experience in part skeletons, but not DM skeletons so I can only give a partial answer. Hopefully, more commentary will result.

I use skeletons to help manage the mass properties early in the design so not having that information calculated in the DM skeleton would not be an advantage.

I had wanted to put GD&T information in my part skeletons, but seemingly can not because I have no solid features for these details in my skeleton. Can the DM skeleton overcome this?

Data sharing with skeletons: see the thread Data Sharing Techniques (thread554-99317). This issue is not resolved yet to my satisfaction.

Part skeletons can be used to enable mechanisms (MDX, MDO) a bit easier than DM skeletons from what I have seen and heard.

I hope this starts to help. Let’s keep the commentary going.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back