Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch Circular Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't. Patterning of sketch elements is not supported. The only place you can pattern 2D elements is in Draft and it is not an associative pattern. The idea in the modeling environment is you create one sketch to generate a solid feature, and then pattern the feature...

Ken G.

I may have misunderstood the question - I assumed the poster meant could you put a pattern into a sketch.
Ken - you can pattern sketches or elements within sketches in the part environment but you have to have a solid feature first.
When you start the pattern command the default is to pattern a feature.
Just change the drop-down to single or chain and you will be able select sketch elements.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Yes, you can pattern an existing sketch feature entity in the Ordered environment with the pattern command, but the elements copied in that fashion are no longer treated as sketch entities and cannot be used as such for subsequent commands (for instance, in the cutout command, use select from sketch to select those entities). All they seem to be good for is a visual representation and/or keypoint locates.

I haven't found a way in a single sketch to place for instance a circle, and then pattern that circle (other than manual copy) while still in that sketch feature, which is what I believed the original poster was asking for.

Ken G.

Yes, I wanted to sketch something using a command similar to "circular array" in AutoCAD. Other 3d cad system has circular pattern for sketching. I was wondering if there is any workaround for this problem. The sketch pattern that I needed requires this function to work.

Asadi -

I'm still confused as to what you want to do.
Are you trying to create a circular pattern (array) of sketch elements or create a circular pattern of a feature?

You don't really need to pattern sketch elements in the modelling environments.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back