Sketch Constraints NX2206 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Paben

Industrial
Sep 11, 2023
FR
Good Morning,

On NX2206 with the new sketcher, we are encountering problems related to the constraint that NX puts on its own.

In the attached model, if you open the last sketch, you can't change the 45° angle, only because NX puts a collinearity constraint.

Have you ever noticed this problem? How can it be circumvented?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@cowski For the first part it actually works, thank you for the feedback.
Were you able to watch the video for the second piece?

For the 2nd part, if you use the "work region" and turn off EITHER "orthogonal" OR "collinear" (or both) in the "relation finder settings" it will work.

Edit: if you add a persistent relation (coincident) between the center point of the dia 60 circle and the sketch origin and turn off both "orthogonal" and "collinear" in the relation finder settings, it will work without the use of "work region".

Personally, all this work to get the applied dimension to be the real driver seems undesirable and I'd suggest opening a ticket with your VAR or Siemens support to get them to look at the use case.

www.nxjournaling.com

AZPete said:
Is this a case in which "found" constraints are overriding the applied dimension?

It seems so. In the 2nd case, if you change the angle to 90 it finds some orthogonal constraints after which it won't let you change the angle. The found constraint is taking precedence over the applied dimension, which seems backwards to me...

www.nxjournaling.com

Dimensions are supposed to supersede found constraints. Guessing that the idea is that the sketch can be freehanded, the tool can infer constraints, the designer can manipulate in accordance with said constraints, and when the constraint needs an override, a dimension can be applied. The understanding here is that the new NX sketcher is supposed to have mandated dimensions reign supreme over inferences.

AZPete said:
The understanding here is that the new NX sketcher is supposed to have mandated dimensions reign supreme over inferences.

Based on the video tutorials and various forum replies by the Siemens folks, this is also my understanding. This is why I recommend opening a ticket with the VAR and/or GTAC. Either there is something "simple" in the new workflow that we are overlooking or the sketcher just isn't working as intended (and only Siemens will be able to fix that).

www.nxjournaling.com

Good morning,

Thank you for all your feedback, sorry for not being able to chat instantly with you, it would be simpler, but I think the time difference has a lot to do with it [smile]

We actually spoke about it with our support who, based on the latest feedback, told us that the new sketcher is different from the old one and that there may still be things to correct. For now they tell us to stick with the old one...

Indeed, what is strange about this new principle is that the constraints that the software finds on its own take precedence over everything else. Which for us is not a logical operation because we should be in control of what we want to do in the sketch. And today we don't control anything with this sketcher.

However, by deactivating all the constraints found we no longer encounter the problem. We just need to really put in all the constraints but at least it's up to us to manage them.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back