Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch Cosine Function Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim0914

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2015
US
Hi Everyone -

I am looking for the best way to sketch/plot points/etc the following function:

X = -.15/2 * COS(360 * 4 * Y) + .15/2

This curve will be attached to a profile that will be swept. I am looking for the smartest and best way to do this. I don't know how to apply this to a 'curve'. My first thought is to create parametric points and run a spline thru them but accuracy is important. The more points I have the more accurate the curve.

Someone has to have done this before. Can someone direct me how to proceed please? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions/ideas.

Thanks In Advance.

Jim Weisner
Senior Designer
General Electric Company
NX V12.0.1 MP02

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a function in NX that allows you to define a curve using a formula. I believe it's under what's called a 'Law Curve'. Check it out.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

John is correct.
to do this, first open the Expression Editor ( Ctrl+E)
then create the necessary equations.
FIRST create the Y equation because the Y is referred in the X equation.
( NX does not like equations that refers to unknown variables, Y has to resolve into something usable for the X equation.)
When defining the law curve , you will also need to define the Z values, but that can be set to constant = 0 in the dialog.
Math is not my "home turf", but, I think it's correct to say that you need to define the equation as a "parametric " using a variable "t" that NX varies between 0 and 1.
( else we get a single value from each equation.)
In the dialog NX will by default propose the variables Xt, Yt, Zt and t ( "X" as a function of "t")

There are in the reuse library a number of examples to look at
The image below is from a later NX version than NX12 but the content is the same in NX12.
Right-click - Open one of these and press Ctrl E to see the how they have done the expressions.
image_fxftec.png

Regards,
Tomas

Never try discuss with a fanatic, it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back