Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sketch dimensions to draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tominsky67

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2007
CA
SE V15

Is there a way to transfer the dimensions from a sketch directly into draft mode so they don't have to be all re entered again?? ... just something my buddy used to do in SW.....

thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tominsky67, lets just say at my current version (19) it works a lot better than it used to.

It's not perfect but if you create your sketches well using the dimensions that would appear on the drawing it can save a lot of effort.

Esepecially if you place your views then systematically dimension them one at a time, tidying up each view before dimensioning the next one.

There's a command to move the dimensions from one view to another under, or I thought there was but I can't find it now, however it doesn't work real well.

So it works OK but it's not quite like how software like Pro E do it.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

I always find I get too many dimensions, not enough, or the wrong ones so I rarely use it.
Maybe it's because I don't constrain my profiles the same as I would dimension the detail.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Hi KENAT,

You make my day if you can find that command in SE !

KENAT wrote

"There's a command to move the dimensions from one view to another"

Maybe in PMI ?

If you have worked with Pro/E or solidworks you know that it works.
An that it is a huge timesaver for making detaildrawings !!!!!
I have been asking this to my reseller for years now, they simply refuse the request. As simple as this !
Because they think it is't a huge time timersaver as I think it is.

I don't think SE can do it because of the way drawings are created - by generating lines and curves in the draft file.
SW and Pro/E work differently, in that I believe the drawing view is a viewport to the model.
That's whu you can also change the orientation of a view in SW (make a top view a front view etc.)
If I wanted to move a dimension from one view to another I'd use Alt-drag on the dimension line handles.
(Kenat,you should really try to put the dimensions on the correct view in the first place [tongue] )

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Well..

Slap on the wrist for beachcomber for not using the same dimension scheme in the model as in the drawing. You'd never catch me doing that, honest. It only pulls through dimensions from sketches not from things like depth of cut, or features like holes & chamfers etc (or did).

I brought retrieve dimensions up at a round table with the lead UGS guy on drafting, they know it's a week point and vaguely said they were working on it but no real commitment.

Xedu, it can be a time saver but frankly I had issues with Pro E too. I've got my method of working with retrieve dimensions to a point where it works reasonably well. Just in time for me to get responsibilities that mean I don't spend much time on CAD anymore;-(.

The move view thing was basically just re-attatch as I recall - hence I said it didn't work well.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Let me say this,

I find SE a very good CAD package.
And it has for me a fantastic 2D environment.
Even better than Pro/e but if it had the few things that I really liked in Pro/e. Than it was infact the best 2D environment in the world.(At least for me) :)

shortcomings for the moment are ;

*better automatic dimensioning.
*The ability to switch dims from one view to another view.
*Arrange dims with one command.
*Modify dim tol. inplace.
*Automatically dimension threadholes.
*Automatically count holes.

For the rest I can only say this, after working with inventor for 5 years anything is better !
It makes even better dxf or dwg files then inventor !!!
And Pro/e is still my first love.
And KENAT I'am not afraid about the future of SE because the new owner Siemens was also a big client of PTC.
So for me SE has the best cards for the moment

*Automatically dimension threadholes.

By this do you mean as part of retrieve dimensions, then no I don't believe it can do this.

However, there are a couple of ways to make some settings that help partially automate this, ask if you want to know more.

There are a coupld of tools under Tools, Dimensions that might be of interest to you.

KENAT,

I'm on V19 still but...

Format, Style (select your dim style), modify, hole callout tab, set up your required hole callouts.

Then when you come to dimension a hole, just create a callout to the hole & select the 'hole callout' button on the callout.

Or you can do similar by creating standard settings for callouts.

I can't find the dimension move thing I mentioned, maybe I'm imagining it.

KENAT,

xedu,

*Arrange dims with one command - how would this work?
Have you tried "Line up Text", or used a grid?

*Modify dim tol. inplace. - if the dim is a toleranced dim, all you need to do is click it (once) and the 2 tolerance values display at the top of the screen. I don't see how this could be any simpler or quicker. The only thing I would like here is the values built-in for standard limits and fits.

*Automatically dimension threadholes - Isn't that what hole callout does?

*Automatically count holes - Would be nice, I agree.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Beachcomber

"*Arrange dims with one command - how would this work?
Have you tried "Line up Text", or used a grid?"

Yes I have ! And they are good, but not enough
Arrange dims with one command was a feature of Pro/e
And it works like this.
Select view-RMB-clean dim. That's all and yes now and then you have to assist. But it was great.
AutoCAD mechanical has also a similar feature !

Fot the second point I agree ! It isn't so bat. But I prefer in place editing.

"*Automatically dimension threadholes - Isn't that what hole callout does?"

I don't understand ? What do yo mean by this ?
Sure you can place threadholes with the callout command.
But can you place all the threadholes and holes at once ?!
on the drawing. I don't think so !!
Pro/e can do this.

My point of view in this is that you don't have to be afriad you may have forgotten something to dimension.
And that is way I like the Pro/e approach. And not because it's called Pro/e !
Pro/e has also many minus points !

xedu, your logic fails on the basis that SE doesn't force you to have fully constrained sketches.

Just because you pulled through all dimensions from the model doesn't mean you have all the dimensions necessary to create the part.

This is part of SE's flexibility but can also be problematic.

KENAT,

*Automatically dimension threadholes - Isn't that what hole callout does?

*Automatically count holes - Would be nice, I agree.

Doesn't a hole table do this? You may have to play with the settings to get what you want.

KENAT,

"xedu, your logic fails on the basis that SE doesn't force you to have fully constrained sketches.

Just because you pulled through all dimensions from the model doesn't mean you have all the dimensions necessary to create the part.

This is part of SE's flexibility but can also be problematic."

O.K. KENAT You are right in a way.
You really don't need to finish the sketch with all the dimensions on it.
In this way it is even better than Pro/e.
But that is not what I want to tell you !
What I want to tell you is the following:
You have made a sketch and have dimensioned it/or partially for my sake. OK !
So why place the same dimension in the draft environment if you already have the dimension. And OK you can do some things with retrieve dimensions for the moment, but not all.
And in this way SE isn't taken enough advantage of it for the moment. IMHO !
But SE isn't the only one ! believe me ! Inventor is even worse than SE. There 2D environment sucks !

Really, SE has a excellent 2D environment, but there are some things missing IMO. No, that's not right what I'am saying. There are some things that could be better !

xedu, as I understand what you think SE should do, it does do it, at least on newer versions.

Maybe as is often the case, I've learnt to work with Solid Edges quirks and vageries and can't get excited about some of this stuff.

I agree though that it could be improved and wish they would.

KENAT,

First

To all sorry for the bad translations I have made already on this forum. I'am not a native speaker of english.
So its difficult for me to conversate with you. Be patient !
I hope it will be better in time.

Second

HDS wrote

"*Automatically dimension threadholes - Isn't that what hole callout does?
"

How are you doing this ? Dimensioning all the holes & treadholes at once. With one click ?

KENAT wrote

"xedu, as I understand what you think SE should do, it does do it, at least on newer versions"

Yes it does but not for holes en treadholes I think. Why not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back