Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

sketch not parallel to screen and how to know all sketches..??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyas257

Automotive
Sep 7, 2005
JP
1)even though the option is checked, the sketch is not parallel to screen.
2)How to check in min. command that all sketches of the model are constrained or not?
3)What is exact difference between join and healing in GSD
The software: CATIA V5 R14
Please do comment.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Q2)How to check in min. command that all sketches of the model are constrained or not?

A2) Within GSD, Use Tools -> Parameterisation Analysis.
In the "Parameterisation Analysis" panel displayed, you can select from various sketch options listed in the "Filter" drop-down list;-

- All Sketches
- Over-constrained Sketches
- Fully-constrained Sketches
- Under-constrained Sketches
- Inconsistent Sketches

Hope this helps.

1) There is an Icon on the window toolbar that will tell CATIA to make the current plane the view plane.
2) Are you talking about checking the part all at once? If so, then you probably need a quality checker such as Incat's iCheck or Rand's QChecker. Otherwise, you can check a sketch while in it by using the Sketch Analysis tools.
3) Join will join the elements, whether they actually connect or not. The tolerance here allows you to join them even with gaps. Healing will actually modify the geometry to provide continuity.

3) This one always gets me. Surfacing is my specialty, so my answer is a bit different from many others. Please excuse my roughness.

"Join" is a way to create a volume, or a collection of non-joined surfaces, to be recognized as one piece of geometry. It is a fundamental necessity for any hybrid or surfacing design.

"Heal" is a band-aid function that Dassault included for the average surfacing mindset. (If I don't know how to do it properly, I'll just fake it!) I think it's worthless, and a poor alternative to actually doing things the right way.

Some will argue, it's great for non-critical reparations, and maybe they are right. I, personally, hate it. In my opinion, it would have best been included in a separate workbench - maybe something geared at importing and updating non-Catia solid and surface files, which can afford to be of lesser quality - and away from anyone who touches FreeSyle or GSD for new or existing Catia jobs.

Please - don't become another addicted "healer."

Check out CATBlog!

I agree with Solid7 to a degree. If you work with imported geometry, whether it's via STEP, IGES, or CATIA V4, it is absolutely essential. If the geometry is native V5, fix the source geometry!

Wow, I didn't actually expect anyone to agree with me on that one, but thank you for your added input, catiajim.

Because I don't work alot with imported geometry, I absolutely hate that function, and I always try to steer new users (especially designers) away from it.

Check out CATBlog!

I am feeling lucky to get help from such a great forum like this!!! I have some query.
While opening catia, by default it opens the product structure. can we avoid that and instead just open the catia, then I will open whatever I want,like part design or GSD?
Thanking you all,
Regards

I've seen designers successfully use Healing to create their part. The problem comes in when they try to change something. Usually, the healing blows up and they get to start over again. If they fix the surfaces first, then the later modifications are much more stable.

The above instances were for some flexible parts (rubber seals, that kind of thing) where the surfaces were not important. If you are creating surfaces that need to be machined or formed, then it is imperitive that they are clean, and you need to fix them. Otherwise, you really don't know what you have, as the Healing has modified your surfaces, and you don't really know how.

I agree with you both, but I find that healing is a great tool, which other softwares don't have that. With Catia, you realize the poor quality of other softwares, and without the healing assistant or the healing tool it would be a nightmare to recover external data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back