Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketch questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovinLife

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2004
US
Version 2005, yes I know it's old, hope to upgrade in a few months once some very needed funds come in. Used Solid Works years ago but don't remember all I used to know.
Are all cutouts, protrusions, etc., first created in sketch mode or is there a way to pick cutout, pick plane and create?
Also, after entering sketch mode, once a plane or surface has been picked, is there a setting which automatically brings that plane or surface up normal to view?
After the sketch has been created is there a setting which returns the view to ISO?
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of those questions are answered in the Help files and the Tutorials. Yes, you will have to do some digging, but during that digging you will find many valuable nuggets.
Loads of tutorials on YouTube (though probably not many for SW2005).

"Are all cutouts, protrusions, etc., first created in sketch mode"
Yes

"after entering sketch mode, once a plane or surface has been picked, is there a setting which automatically brings that plane or surface up normal to view?"
Hit the Ctrl 8 keys together.

"After the sketch has been created is there a setting which returns the view to ISO?"
Hit the Ctrl 7 keys together.

I haven't seen any settings that will do that automatically, I have the 'normal-to' view option hotkeyed to something near my left hand, (I'm right handed). I just use ctrl+d, clicking the scroll wheel on the mouse allows you to pivot the part in any direction you want.

Try out different settings, see what works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back