Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sketches into different model

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnour

Mechanical
May 6, 2003
US
I have two different models but they have alot of the same protusions and cuts on them. Can I some how save a sketch from one model to use in another model? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open one model, and select REDEFINE on a particular feature. Select to redefine the SKETCH, when in Skecthing Mode, select SAVE. Now you just saved the section as sec0001.sec (or something like it), you can then reename it.

In the other parts, when in sketcher, select IMPORT DATA FROM FILE and search for the section.

Steve

You can also copy entire features such as the cuts or protrusions from an existing model using Copy from Different Model. If you're features are very similar this will be easier than having to save the section from within the original feature then choosing to create the feature enter sketcher and place the section.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Michael
[thumbsup2]

Dear All,

To go beyond Michael's post, have you tried design UDFs?
These are a group of features, which you can save, and reuse on other models. When placing them on other models, proe asks only the references of the features in the udf.
You can define dimensions of features in the udf for example as read-only, and when you place it, you cannot change the values. Sometimes it is useful.
Try UDF, and you will see how effective work can be done with proe ;-)!

Best reg's

Jozsef Auer
mechanical engineer
engineer in informatics
CAD/CAM Application Engineer

Hi all

Thanks for the tips to try but Im having trouble with them.

1) When I save a sketch and try to import it into the other model, import is grayed out so I cant import it? How do you get the sketch into the other part?

2) When I try to copy the feature into the other model I select the feature but then I dont get another dialouge box or anything. It asks me to open ass001 to define the feature???

I havent tried the UFD's yet but will this week. Thanks again for your imput.

Hi Alnour

I think you did not know or follow that you have to be in sketcher mode for new part, then import the section you saved using IMPORT DATA FROM FILE. 3dlogix did state that you have to be in sketcher mode

Hope this helps.

Tofflemire

Thanks for the tip but I was in sketch mode. The dialogue box is asking to define the sketch. When I go to file import it is grayed out. How do I import the sketch??

Thanks I found it. I really appreciate all your help with this stuff. Im using proe and it doesnt have any help files so looking things up isnt possible. I know some of the questions I ask may seem silly but without the help files Im in a boat and i dont have a paddle. I have asked the IT guy to fix it but he went on holidays before he did and we need this model yesterday of course, and Im not that handy with Proe yet. This certainly is a crash course in it. Again thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back