Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sketches not updating when parent is changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albigger

Aerospace
Dec 29, 2004
US
I have had a similar problem before back in R17, (see the bottom of this post for my original thread) but now I am seeing an issue on mulitple workstations with R19:

The problem is that we have multiple part bodies in one catpart, and for instance there is a sketch in one partbody, and a sketch in another body, with a line coincident to the line in the parent sketch. When the parent is updated, the child sketch does not move, even though no errors come up, if you go into the child sketch, the line still shows the coincidence symbol, even though the lines are clearly not overlapping each other. The model IS updated, I have auto update turned on and the "update" icon is greyed out.

If I delete the coincidence constraint in the child sketch, and re-create the sketch, then the line snaps to the new position, but it should do this automatically.

This is very frustrating and could cause a lot of problems in the model if things are not updated when the "master" sketch is updated.

Has anyone seen this behavior before or have suggestions for it? I have seen this on 32bit installs of R19 SP2 with the OS being windows XP pro (both 32 and 64 bit versions).

For reference, this is somewhat of a different issue, but possibly related? Here is my original thread from a while back:

Thanks.
--Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, but I don't think that will solve this issue. (I do use positioned sketches in other situations though).

Basically, all I want to do is have two bodies with a face that is coincident to each other, so one body's sketch is a parent. In the other body's sketch, I make the line coincident to the first line, but it doesn't always update now!

Its fine if I remember to go back and change all the things linked to that sketch, but really, what good is having a parametric modeler when it doesn't work?

Test it with a distance constraint. Either intersect your solids (I know it seems stupid, but there is no end of trouble with tangency), or set it to zero.

Indeed, it is NFG, but I lost my PencilCAD license. Some days you have to treat CATIA like it is out to kill you.

/k.c.takacs

I did try the distance constraint, to no avail. I also tried making both end points coincident instead of the whole line, that didn't work either.

And that's the weird thing, its not a crazy shape, its just a line, overlaying another line. No tangency, no splines or arcs etc...

Yeah, I hear you about CATIA sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back