Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

skewed tee joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

braceh

Structural
Jul 21, 2009
US
On my job I have skewed shear plates connecting to embed plates. There are 2 skeed connections and 1 transverse connection all occurring at roughly the same location. At this congested point could a fillet weld on either side of the skewed shear plate take place of a partial joint penetration weld of equal size. Reason being is that the 1 transverse (90 degree angle) connection has already been welded into place and the 2 skewed joints ( if facing north, 1 going north-west and the other going north-east) are being welded after the fact. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If a fillet weld will withstand the stresses...yes. If not, no. Compute the weld stresses and see what size fillet is equivalent to the partial penetration weld originally contemplated. If the fillet weld is large (>1/2") then I would consider staying with the PP weld.

So is it safe to say that (2) 1/4" fillet welds in a skewed tee joint would NOT effectively take the place of (2) 1/4" single bevel PJP's?

Skewed joints are defined in D1.1. The welds are categorized as fillet welds only if the dihedral angle is between 80 and 100 degrees.

For angles less than 80 degrees or more than 100 degrees, the Z-loss must be considered. Z-loss is the expected incomplete fusion expected in the joint root, similar the the reduction in weld size for partial joint penetration groove welds where the groove angle is less than 60 degrees.

You haven't told us the welding process, position of the welding, or the dihedral angle. Check D1.1 clause 2.3.3 for details.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back