Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slab Design Rule of Thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp02t

Structural
Dec 7, 2010
US
What is a good rule of thumb when doing schematic designs of an elevated/mezzanine floor? I'm looking for a general reference on thicknesses, not rebar sizing.

For example, I'm designing a mezzanine with light storage loading, supported by steel beams at 5' o.c. and metal deck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You mean so you can look smart at meetings with architects? :) I love being able to do that too. But seriously, looking up what you just gave us in a vulcraft or similar manual would only take about 2 minutes...

1.5" deep B deck with a 2.5" topping or something similar should work, but check the tables from Vulcraft as previously suggested for the loading you need.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

For a reinforced concrete flat slab, I think a good rule of thumbs is 1/3-1/2" of concrete thickness per foot of span for typical floor loading.

I'm not sure about slab on metal deck.

2-1/2" topping on 1-1/2" deck is good for about 6.5' supported on steel beams. Use 20 ga deck and not 22 ga. and make sure the side lap seams are well secured.

Dik

Should have added that the deck is 3 span cont...

Dik

this one is based on uk practice but is relevant for US:

Also structural engineers pocket book.

If you know anyone who works for ARup they have a good manual that is based on the above.

Or just google preliminary design or scheme design.

I would also suggest using the google search at the top of the page as this topic has come up before.

According to the Canam Steel Deck catalog, a 3.5" slab thickness with 22 ga. composite steel deck will carry a factored load of 420 psf on a 5' span. Personally, I have always used a 4" minimum slab thickness (1.5" + 2.5") but that is a matter of personal preference.

Dik, when you say minimum 20 ga. and not 22 ga. deck, are you referring to a composite or non-composite deck? If both, what is your reason for selecting the heavier gauge?

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back