Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slab Edge Releases 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dccd

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2021
SG
Guys, may i know how to assign slab edge release in SAFE ? I have exported the model from ETABS into safe to design the slab.

Say that I want to release the edges at the yellow junction only. How to do this ? When I choose slab edge release in SAFE , it automatically release at 4 slab edges , which I dont want. I only want to release moment at certain edge only.
0009_aubss8.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I put some more effort into my test last night and this morning. Line Releases are indeed internal.

I confirmed that I can just draw a line in the middle of a slab and assign my line release to that object to create an expansion joint. It turns out that I had a bad model (meshing constraints were not allowing my line release to get connected).

In my opinion, Line Releases seem a little trickier to work with than Edge Releases. However, they can be used to do similar things. And, I can imagine situations where they would be very useful.

Caveat:
I actually work for CSI, the company that makes ETABS. I'm relatively new there and still learning some of their products. More accurately, I'm still learning some the advanced details of their products. This is why I got so interested in this thread. Because I wanted to really know the ins and outs of these two features and how they differ.

Long story short: On matters related to CSI products or their competitors, I cannot be expected to be a neutral party as I have some definite bias on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back