Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slab horizontal bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizontally

Structural
Oct 10, 2019
SG
Hi all, I have just started working on the field and need to maneuver around the top reinforcement bars of slab.

There seems to be not a problem in maintaining balance when walking in the 'red' direction. When it comes to the other 'blue'direction, I'm almost always losing balance. Is there any foot placement tips for walking across the top bars? My feet is small.

Thanks!

Rebar_2_vsxemn.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My feet are large, so never had that problem. In the "blue" direction, you are probably stepping on bars which are hung from the outer layer bars, so a bit more springy than the other way. Maybe you need to walk a bit diagonally, sort of slalom-like across the mat.

As there is only one mat of bars, I take it that this is a quite heavily reinforced slab on ground. Looks a nicely tied mat, but some of the tie wires may need knocking down, depending on how much top cover you have.

I always walk diagonally with my toe on bars in one direction, my heel on bars in the other. And I even have large feet, but it's just more stable to me.

Put me in the diagonal camp as well. It's the mandatory walking style when the bars are spaced wider than your foot.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL, CO) Structural Engineer (IL, HI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back