Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slab on grade 19,5m*7,05m without any joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jummybear

Civil/Environmental
Jul 24, 2014
EE
Hi everyone,
My first post here, hope you can give me an advice.
I have a slab on ground 19,5m*7,05m, on part of it is inclined. The thickness of slab will be 200-250mm on a flat area and 200-250 to 1350mm inclined part. Volvo F120 wheel loader will be moving on (from outside area to warehouse) it with full load. I will add some sketches of it. My question is is it possible to pour such kind of slab without any joints (expansion/contraction)?
SLab_wms7vo.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don’t need joints provided you throw enough steel at it. Don’t skimp on steel.

Do some reading on ‘continuously reinforced pavements’

1.3m is pretty thick. Does that bit need to be concrete?

MIEStruct said:
But its crying out for 2 joint locations..

I wouldn't joint it if it was my warehouse and my loader. I've worked in warehouses with broken joints at the loading dock areas. A serious hassle. Forklifts can't use it. Looks bad. Endless failed attempts to fix it.

Tomfh
That is what I am thinking about, more reinforcement for upper layer and no joints. Bottom reinf according design loads.
Yes, 1.3m is quite thick. We had 2 options: slab of thickness 200-250 everywhere (inclined part also) + some small
"retaining walls" on long sides of inclined part to prevent soil failure or such massive solution without walls but with thick slab. Due to less time for this work client picks the second options. All works should be done in about 9 days while warehouse will be on maintance. This is also a kind of challange to demolish old slab, build a formwork, reiforce the slab and pour it + concrete drying/hardening also included in these 9 days!

MIStructE_IRE
If so, then max 1 joint between flat and inclined part but it makes work a bit more time consuming + I am afraid that this joint will be damaged during explotation (exactly same point as Tomfh wrote in his second reply).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back