Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slab-on-Grade control joints under load bearing walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpenn3

Structural
Feb 22, 2017
US
Does anyone have any bad experiences with placing Slab-on-Grade control joints under load bearing walls? Should this be avoided?

I know Slab-on-Grade control joint placement has been discussed before, but I don't see where this particular issue has.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does anyone have any bad experiences with placing Slab-on-Grade control joints under load bearing walls?

Directly under the wall? If it's a saw cut joint, how can you (physically) do that? For any kind of joint, I'd have it adjacent to the wall.

Then I wouldn't be concerned personally that they put a construction joint below the wall. Generally though, I tend not to have my slab on grade rest directly on the footing and it tends to cause cracks in the slab at the edges of the footing. I typically have two possible details, 1) top of footing is top of slab and there is a construction joint at the transition between footing and slab, 2) if footing bearing is some distance down from slab elevation I'll pour a curb from the footing up to the top of slab and have the wall rest on that. Both details do not have the slab run under the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back