Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slab on grade fire station

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthab

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2002
US
We are designing a fire station. Is an 8" (4,000 psi) slab on grade enough for the bay area? What about reinforcement? I will appreciate answers ASAP.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is what I used in the past with two layers of bars! Place joints in thoughtful manner. 4000 PSI concrete is the minimum I use for slabs subjected to heavy traffic.

Good luck

Regards,
Lutfi

Of course it all depends on your soil conditions. I usually rely on the subgrade modulus to determine thickness. Also soil preparation under the slab is critical. Sorry that I left that out.

Regards,

Regards,
Lutfi

The thickness of a slab on grade is controlled by the wheel loading of the vehicles and the spacing of the vehicle wheels. You might want to check out "Concrete Floors on Ground" by Portland Cement Association. Also, ACI 360R has a summary table of other methods of designing slabs on grade. It lists the methods by Portland Cement Association, Wire Reinforcing Institute and the Corp. of Engineers. Each of these groups has their own method of designing slabs. Keep in mind that the steel in the concrete in the floor is only used for temperature and shinkage and not for flexure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back