Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

slab-on-ground design for heavy loads 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewToStructures

Structural
Jan 22, 2009
US
Could someone recommend a design procedure for a slab-on-ground with heavy loads (ex: airplane wheel load). I've found the WRI procedure for slab-on-ground foundations, but it seems to specify only light, residential loads. I've also looked at the WRI Innovative ways to Reinforce Slabs-on-Ground" however my design load (67 psi) is off the PCA chart it recommends for determining slab thickness.

I appreciate the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

haynewp...the PCASE software is actually fairly good. Some inflexibility as with most Gov'mt stuff, but not bad.

Check with State of Washington DOT...they have software that is excellent and free.

If it's airplane wheel loads, are you at an airport? If so, the airport authority probably has a design standard for any concrete work in "public" areas of the airport apron. If you are inside a hangar, then you could use different design requirements.

FAA has very specific design requirements for apron concrete, including low strength concrete bases, thickness, flexural capacity, etc...

Otherwise, I would use the Army Corps slab on grade manual that is referenced by pcronin. THis is an excellent design guide, which I have used many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back