Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slab-wall deformation compatibility (Etabs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachotop

Structural
Feb 10, 2003
CL
I have a problem with the slabs automeshing property. When I do it over a beam, the beam is automatically connected to the slab, equivalent nodal loads are applied to it and deformation compatibility is achieved. But if I do that with a slab over walls (i.e. a slab beared over four walls) this conectiond does not occur if I use the automesh option. The only way to link the slab to the wall is by doing the manual meshing wich is apropiate for academic models, but not for real buildings because it is time consuming. Is there any way to fix that deformation compatibility problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi nachotop:

In ETABS version 8 the only thing you have to do is select all area elements and go to assign -> shell/area ->area object mesh options. On the window that appears select the proper auto meshing you wish. Normally, I select the automesh object into structural elements with the further subdivide automesh maximum size of 1mt.
To force proper deformation compatibility then do asign -> shell/area -> auto line constraints and on the window that appears select create line constraints around walls, ramps and floors and check the "Apply to full structure" selection.
The previous procedure will eliminate the need of "dummy" beams suggestes by plopez for correct transfer of loads from slabs to walls.
Mr. Habibullah once said in one of his seminars ...with V8 the dummies are dead!

I'll try that way, thanks y'all. I still have a problem whether mesh the wall or do not do it. but I think i'll mesh both of them. And about what you said amadeus, i'll use it for sure.

saludos don pato.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back