SLECTING AND CHANGING SUFACES TO SOLIDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

VINN

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2003
CA
HI,
IF I HAVE A INCLOSED SURFACE WHICH IS SOME WHAT COMPLEX, HOW DO I SELECT ALL SURFACES AND CHANGE IT TO A SOLID. ALSO HOW CAN I SELECT SUFACES BY COLOR RATHER THAN INDIVIDUAL SELECTION?. THANK YOU IN ADVANCED.

BOTTOMS UP!

VINNY (-:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Vinn,
If I understand you questions correctly:

_1. You can't go directly from a group of Surfaces to a Solid.
You need a Volume to create a Solid from a closed set of geometry.

Use the LIMIT2/FACE function to create Faces on your Surfaces.
The Faces must fully cover the outer surface of your desired Solid and share common boundries, no gaps or overlaps.

While still in the LIMIT2 function, select VOLUME. Select a Face and then the 'AUTO SELECT' box.

Watch *VOL1 magically appear.

Finally, invoke the function: SOLIDE/CREATE/COMPLEX/VOLUME and select *VOL1.

Now, if the stars are properly aligned and you are using V4, a new *SOL will suddenly manifest itself.
( If it didn't, double check those pesky Faces)

_2. You can pick everything, of the same color, in the current workspace by typing
*COLx (x= the numerical value of the color). example: *COL5 = Yellow
-or-
You can pick every Yellow Surface by keying:
*COL5&*SUR

Hope this has helped.
Chaplain

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE ,BUT I UNFORTUNATLEY FORGOT TO MENSION THAT I AM RUNNING CATIA V5 R9. I ALREADY KNEW HOW TO DO IT ON V4. IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT HOW TO ACHIEVE THIS ON V5 IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
BOTTOMS UP!

VINNY (-:

Hello Vinn!

If youre volume consists of several surfaces, you have to do the "join" operation in GSD or Wireframe&Surface to make the volume as one unit.
To make a solid out of a volume in V5, you must use the "close surface" command witch is located under surface based features in the part design workbench.

The color selection thing, I`m not sure of.

Hope this will help you out.

/Yngve

You can use "Edit/search" and select the type "from an element" and the colour "from an element" in selecting one of your coloured surface.
Alain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back