Slender Span

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaidj

Civil/Environmental
Jun 27, 2010
IE
Hi,
if i have beam which is slender so basically width to depth ratio is not as specify in Code which makes it slender, which means it might have secondary effects but its still a beam, what kind of secondary effects am i dealing here with? and i am ensuring it takes torsion and making sure to provide torsional reinforcement, would that be enough or i need other checks as well? if yes, which other checks do i need to take in my consideration?

your response is highly appreicated.

Kind Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Four questions that will help us give better responses:

What material is this beam?
Is this new construction, or existing?
What is the beam supporting, and how is that connected?
What is the beam supported by, and how is that connected?

----
The name is a long story -- just call me Lo.

OP said:
what kind of secondary effects am i dealing here with?

Usually lateral torsional buckling (LTB) which has more to do with torsional stiffness than torsional strength (ie the reinforcement may not help as much as you think). If you're going to exceed the code limitation, I would at least find another way to evaluated LTB to prove that your beam is safe in regard to that.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

this beam is precast concrete beam
this beam is supporting 320 HCS having wearhouse loading.
i have provided Beam end restrained by introducing insitu column and extended my beam reinforcement into column.

Now what do you guys think?

I think that you've got a slender beam that need evaluating. What code are you using? ACI 318 allows you to span 50 times the least width of the the compression face or flange with out intermediate bracing. Do you exceed that? If so, you'll need to assess LTB using analytical methods such as those proposed by Mast (Link Link)

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back